Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fish and Frogs

While I have been painting and visual journaling for only a short time, I have kept written journals and crafted stories and poems for years. I am working on posts of a trip to D.C. and a recent flight on the Goodyear Blimp, but for today, here are two poems inspired by my fascination with fish and frogs. These poems, by the way, reflect actual events. I have lead a most magical life.

Fish Talk

One cold and rainy night,
exhausted from a long
day at work then hours of class
at the University
in the City, I boarded
the very last bus to
my home in the suburbs.
Sometime into this long
and miserable journey,
I looked up to see a
disheveled and wild eyed
young man standing at my seat.
He asked, could sit with me?
Surprised, a bit mesmerized
I moved my coat and books
from the seat beside me
and he sat down. We rode
in silence, shoulders nearly
touching. Then, quietly,
"Do you dream in the night?"
Though uneasy, I nod yes.
"What did you dream last night?"
So intimate, this question,
I tremble but answer, "Fish."
"People who dream of fish are
sensuous", he mutters.
We traveled on in silence
to my stop. I saw him
often. He always saved me
a seat on the empty bus.
I always took it though
we never shared a glance
or spoke another word.
lm 2007



Amorous Amphibian

I shine my flashlight in the pond
and search for the monster who
makes such a big noise.

Sometimes he feels most generous.
His gift, allowing me to see him
all puffed up.

Quite confident in his courting best.
Small in stature, but
large in voice, heart and lust.

His throat grows and he exhales
his longing. Some nights he is joined
by fellow bachelors

and the patio resounds
with their hopeful serenades
of passion and longing.

Flirty fellow,
I miss his ardent love songs
when romance wins and he has a date.
lm 2007

And the husband and I had breakfast this morning with Ken! I knew you would want to know. The food was awful and over priced but the patio seating is very pleasant and it was good to see Ken again. He is an accomplished Executive Recruiter (aka headhunter) who has moved to Arizona. We have been friends for 20 + years and he likes to say that he's taught me everything I know. (There, Ken, you are now properly mentioned on my blog. Enough with the complaining already!)



4 comments:

Patience-please said...

The poems were fun and I love the paintings! You have so much talent!

smiles-
Patience

Laura Bray said...

You have another fish story too. Found the post-no problem.

Tara said...

Great poems and illustrations!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.