Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Happy Chinese New Year

OK, after several days of hit and miss working on this challenge from Swan at Heart, here is my celebratory picture.

I sketched this based on some Chinese dolls I saw in the Panda Inn in Pasadena. Yummy food, by the way. How does everything end up being about food?

Then I painted her. This was harder than I thought it was going to be because I couldn't remember what colors and patterns were Chinese as opposed to Japanese. I'm pretty sure this is Chinese. And consider my panic when, as a novice painter, I discover that the tube labeled "flesh" was all dried up. I had to mix my own color. It would seem I am still able to figure thing out. Looks pretty good to me.

Then I entered the more-is-more-and-it's-great phase. Indulging my passion for looking things up on the internet, I discovered that the Chinese traditionally use flowers, food and lanterns to celebrate this holiday. Some of my favorite things. So I cut and pasted away. Painted and painted some more. More challenge, I have trouble layering. I love other artists subtle look but I still struggle to cover things up. Hmmmm, says Dr. Freud, what do you think that means?

And Viola! (an old Chinese phrase), here we have Chinese New Year Art. Wishing you all health and good fortune. And thanks dear Swan for motivating me to make art.

10 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

Laura thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a sweet message.
Love your Chinese art piece - great colours.
Alison

reinaswan said...

I was screaming how cute this was to James. I love it and all the different layers. You should continue to paint. Yea for the New Year!!!

Natasha Burns said...

Great job Laura! I love your collage and layers you did, it works in beautifully!!!

Patience-please said...

She's delightful! From the fun sketch to the finished project.

all the best-
Patience

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

nice! you should set up shop on etsy and sell cards!

Laura Bray said...

Very, very nice! Way to mix those colors. This may be one of my favorites so far. As for the holiday, I sent you & Reina some art mail, but forgot to scan it. When you get it, could you please scan it?

Anonymous said...

She's sooooo cute : )
Love You.

Tara said...

Gung hay fat choy--isn't this art piece great! Beautiful work!

Patience-please said...

Sending our best miracle whippet healing thoughts to the little cocker mix master..
wags from the whippets and their servant, too

Patience-please said...

Sending our best miracle whippet healing thoughts to the little cocker mix master..
wags from the whippets and their servant, too